Behind the Label
- The Maison
Clos des Lambrays
In Morey-Saint-Denis along France’s renowned “Routes des Grand Crus” lies Clos des Lambrays, one of the oldest grand cru vineyards in the Burgundy region. Using pinot noir grapes, the estate produces elegant, fully rounded wines that take on added depth and gravity with age.
A legacy saved
The Clos des Lambrays estate, which was referenced as early as 1365, was divided and sold during the French Revolution but reunited in 1868. Roland de Chambure and the Saier brothers acquired the estate in 1979, and by 1981 it had achieved grand cru status.
Thierry Brouin joined Clos des Lambrays in 1980 and led the revival of the winery, improving the quality of the estate’s vines and, in turn, its wines. Today he oversees the traditional Burgundian vinification process to ensure freshness, elegance and complexity is maintained.
A complex grand cru
Pinot noir grapes are challenging to grow, but the positioning of Clos des Lambrays provides ideal conditions. The estate comprises three undulating parcels with distinct microclimates; grapes grown at upper levels lend finesse, while power and balance come from those grown lower.