It’s time to pull out your favorite punch bowl. Those long summer evenings are an invitation to socialize, and what better drink than Punch Royal to help you talk the night away? ‘“One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, four of weak’,” goes the traditional sailor’s rhyme, which perfectly sums up the accepted recipe for this long drink. Lemons for the sour, simple syrup for the sweet, Hennessy VS makes up the strong, and apple juice is the weak. Punch Royal goes a step further with that extra sparkling twist. The addition of champagne brings distinctive fizz and flavor to the perfect summer drink.
How to make a Punch Royal step by step:
- Combine all the liquid ingredients except the champagne in a punch bowl.
- Add ice cubes (the larger the better) and dashes of angostura orange bitters.
- Delicately pour the champagne and stir to combine.
- Place the lemon and orange wheels in the bowl.
- Slap the mint against your hand a few times to release its fresh aromas and add to the bowl.
- Punch Bowl
- Mixing Spoon
- Ice tongs
- Lowball glass
- 1 bottle of Hennessy V.S (750 ml)
- 1 bottle of Moët & Chandon But Impérial Champagne (750 ml)
- 34 oz of apple juice
- 10 oz of simple syrup
- 10 oz of fresh lemon juice
- 20 dashes of angostura orange bitters
- Ice cubes
- 1 bunch of mint
- Lemon and orange cut into wheels