Cooking at Home: Crab Carbonara with Burnt Tomatoes
Get creative at home and try this recipe with punchy fresh flavours from chef Sarah Glover, a perfect pairing for Cape Mentelle Rosé. For Sarah food is about the experience and likes it to be fun and approachable.
Sarah’s strong connection with the ocean and cooking on beaches goes hand in hand with the ethos of Cape Mentelle and the geography of the Margaret River region in Australia. Her hands-on approach, gathering produce locally and cooking it over an open fire, is a unique experience of terroir. The natural environment expresses itself through her food, just as the natural environment expresses itself through Cape Mentelle’s wines.
- 300 g fettucine
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Handful of cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh white crab meat
- 1/2 red chili, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium cast-iron frying pan, add the tomatoes and cook until blistered. Stir in the crab meat and chili and cook for a few minutes, then remove from the heat and season with salt.
- Drain the pasta and toss through the crab and tomato mixture. Put the pan back on the heat, add the egg yolks and cheese and toss until creamy and the cheese has melted. Plate up and enjoy.