It’s time to pull out your favourite punch bowl. Those long summer evenings are an invitation to socialise and what better than Royal Punch to talk the night away? ‘One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, four of weak’ says the traditional sailor’s rhyme, which pretty much sums up the accepted recipe for the long drink. Lemons for the sour, simple syrup for the sweet, Hennessy VS makes up the strong, whereas apple juice is the weak. Royal Punch goes a step further with that extra sparkling twist. The addition of champagne brings distinctive fizz and flavour to the perfect summer drink.
How to make a Punch Royal step by step
- Combine all the liquid ingredients except the champagne in a punch bowl.
- Add ice cubes (the larger the better) and the dashes of angostura orange bitters.
- Delicately pour the champagne and stir to combine.
- Place the lemon and orange wheels in the bowl.
- Slap the mint against your hand a few times to release its fresh aromas, and add to the bowl.
- Punch Bowl
- Mixing Spoon
- Ice tongs
- Lowball glass
- 1 bottle of Hennessy V.S (70 cL)
- 1 bottle of Moët & Chandon But Impérial Champagne (75 cL)
- 1 L apple juice
- 30 cL simple syrup
- 30 cL fresh lemon juice
- 20 dashes angostura orange bitters
- Ice cubes
- 1 bunch mint
- Lemon and orange cut into wheels