While sweetwood is the name of a sweet, aniseed-flavoured, chewable root, in this cocktail, the ‘sweetwood’ comes from the cinnamon which gives it its fragrant aroma and taste. This vodka cocktail with sweet orange and bitter herbal undertones is perfect for any cocktail party.
How to mix a Sweetwood – the step-by-step recipe
- Combine all ingredients, shake with ice cubes and strain into a chilled coupette glass.
- To make the cinnamon tincture, combine two whole cinnamon sticks with one cup of Belvedere vodka and let steep for a week. Strain and dilute with one cup of water (will keep indefinitely).
- Serve in a tall coupette glass, and garnish with a slice of lemon.
- Chinois strainer
- Tall coupette
- 45 mL / 1 ½ oz Belvedere vodka
- 30 mL / 1 oz bitter-sweet orange liqueur
- 1 dash cinnamon tincture
- A twist of lemon