The sun’s shining once again, and to celebrate longer days and warmer temperatures, we’re toasting with a twist on the traditional Blue Blazer cocktail. Originally a winter-warming beverage invented in San Francisco in the 1800s it was less about the ingredients (whisky, sugar and lemon peel) and more about the flame-lit show.
Our toast to the season combines mouth-watering chopped pineapple, the quintessential taste of summer hailing from somewhere sun-drenched and far-flung, and slices of green lime that brings a reinvigorating freshness to the cocktail. The lot is then shaken with caramelised sugar melted by blowtorch, and smooth Glenmorangie Scotch whisky to balance out the fruit’s tangy edge.
HOW TO MIX THE BLACK BLAZER – STEP BY STEP
- In a steel pan, combine the Glenmorangie Scotch whisky, pineapple, and green lime.
- Sprinkle on brown sugar and melt with a blowtorch.
- Place the fruit in a shaker and crush together.
- Add whisky, dark chocolate liqueur and two ice cubes.
- Shake and double strain over a single ice cube.
- Bar spoon
- Ice tongs
- Glass whisky tumbler
- 30 ml Scotch whisky
- 10 ml of dark chocolate liqueur
- 3 chunks of pineapple
- 3 quarters of green lime
- A spoon of brown sugar
- Ice cubes